A Great Hummus Recipe – with Variations!
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE hummus. It is tasty, satisfying and something I reach for if I am feeling munchy because it it fills me up! I often eat it on organic tortilla chips (my addiction), carrots or cucumbers. It also makes a great replacement on sandwiches or wraps instead of using icky-ingredient-filled mayonnaise.
Here is a great recipe for hummus that I received from my friend Meredith who gave me permission to share it. It has been the best hummus recipe I have found so far. Many of the ingredients can be altered based on your preference (I always add more garlic!) so it is very versatile! I also usually double or triple the batch and then stick some in the freezer. Making extra is a GREAT way to keep your Real Food journey more simple and frugal – not to mention time-saving! I do it often!
I always use dry beans – for several reasons. First, I am leary of most canned items from the store because of the BPA they spray on the linings. Also, it is MUCH more frugal to buy dry beans. AND, it’s healthier. To learn more about why you’d want to soak your dry beans, read this article over at Healthy Home Economist.
Now that you are all educated on beans and soaking, here’s the recipe:
You can change it up a bit by adding any of these extra ingredients in any combination:
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbs. chopped parsley (also as a garnish)
4 oz. chopped peppers (bell, jalapeno, habenero, chili, whatever your palate desires)
1/2 cup kalamata olives
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 10 Money Saving Tips for Real Food Eaters - […] Some of my bean-containing recipes: Beef & Bean Casserole, Bean & Sausage Soup, Homemade Hummus […]
- After-School Snacks, a Confession and My Upcoming Series » Real Food Eater - [...] Basically, you fill muffin cups with a variety of healthy snack options. It helps kids have choices and the…
- My Buying Club and What I Got in My Green PolkaDot Box Today! (plus the winner of the $25 Laptop Lunches giveaway!) » Real Food Eater - [...] • canned organic garbanzo beans (because I forgot to order the 5lb bag of dried ones through our other…
- Top 10 Christmas Gifts for Real Food Eaters - Real Food Eater - [...] My favorite brand is Cuisinart…I have the 11-cup one from about 8 years ago, and this 12-cup version is…
- Roasted Eggplant Dip (Baba Ganoush) - Real Food Eater - [...] days ago and ate the whole bowl myself. No joke. I am usually a hummus girl (LOVE this recipe for Homemade…