Almond Power Bars
But, it’s not time for dinner yet.
So, you open your cupboards and all you find in there are….
If you’re reading my blog, it’s highly likely you are aiming to eat less processed foods and this scenario (or one similar to it) has probably happened in your own kitchen.
If you have kids, the problem becomes even bigger because there are few things that moms find more annoying than hungry, whining kids and NO SNACKS to be found.
In it, you’ll find all sorts of ideas for homemade, nourishing snacks. The chapters include topics like:
• Munchy Crunchy (crunchy snacks, including crackers)
• Muffins & Biscuits
• Other backpack-ready snacks (applesauce, fruit rolls, jerky, etc)
• Lunchbox goodies (dips, salads, puddings, etc)
Katie was nice enough to allow me to share one of the recipes from her book – Almond Power Bars.
Almond Power Bars
2 cups almonds (raw orcrispy nuts)
½ cup flax meal (flax seeds ground in a blender)
½ cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
½ cup unsalted almond butter (like peanut butter, made from almonds instead)
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut oil (unrefined is best; could probably sub butter here)
1-2 Tbs honey
1 Tbs maple syrup
2-3 teaspoons homemade vanilla extract (or at least real)
a few squares dark chocolate, less than half a bar needed for thin layer (optional)
- Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor.
- Pulse briefly, about 10 seconds.
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil over very low heat.
- Remove coconut oil from stove, stir sweeteners and vanilla into oil.
- Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste.
- Press mixture into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens.
- In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over very low heat, stirring continuously.
- Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens.
- Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve.
Makes 20 bars
*** Click here to purchase her book.***
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on them, I may earn a small commission (helps keep things running smoothly around here). Thanks!
This post is shared at: Weekend Wonders