Beef & Bean Casserole
Quick meals. They are definitely more difficult and harder to come by when you are attempting to eat Real Food. One thing I like to do, though, is find a yummy recipe and change it up into a Real Food recipe. That’s what I did with this one. It was inspired by the “Mexican Beef & Bean Casserole” from Betty Crocker’s New Cookbook. I love the hearty combo of beef and beans with an added touch of Mexican flavor.
This meal is easy, it’s a hit with my family, and because of the added beans it stretches a pound of ground beef a long way. I usually serve it with some homemade cornbread and/or a salad. It’s really filling and you don’t need much with it!
And just to change it up a bit, the leftovers are great and perfect for scooping up with organic tortilla chips.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think! I’d love to hear your quick & easy Real Food recipes too!
1 cup dry pinto beans, soaked overnight (Buy Beans Here)
1/2 cup dry black beans, soaked overnight
1-2 Tbsp coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
1 pound ground beef, preferably grassfed and organic
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup onion, diced small
1 1/2 – 2 cups salsa (I used a pint of my Canned Salsa)
1/2 cup tomato sauce (or just use more salsa if you don’t have this)
1 Tbsp cumin
1/2 – 1 tsp sea salt (where to buy Spices & Salt)
shredded cheddar cheese, to taste
*UPDATED NOTE: Dump in some frozen organic corn to make it even yummier!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. After soaking beans overnight in filtered water, drain and rinse. Then cook on med-low heat for an hour or until slightly tender.
3. Meanwhile, saute garlic and onion in coconut oil until soft.
4. Add ground beef and cook thoroughly.
5. Add salsa, tomato sauce, cumin and sea salt and stir well, mixing all ingredients.
6. Transfer to a casserole baking dish like this one.
7. Cook for 30 minutes, adding cheese to the top for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
Check out some of the “Recipe/Blog Hops” that this recipe is shared at: Tastetastic Thursday, Eat, Make, Grow Thursday, Thursday Ultimate Recipe Swap, Creative Juice Thursdays, Ultimate Recipe Swap, Full Plate Thursdays, Frugal Food Thursday, Fill Those Jars Friday, Fight Back Friday, Friday Favorites, Fresh Bites Friday, Simply Natural Saturdays, Snacktime Saturday, Wellness Weekend, Sugar Free Sunday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Scratch Cooking’ Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Heart & Soul Blog Hop, Tasty Tuesdays, Traditional Tuesdays, Nap-Time Creations, Real Food Wednesdays @ Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Pennywise Platter
- 10 Money Saving Tips for Real Food Eaters - Real Food Eater - […] of my bean-containing recipes: Beef & Bean Casserole, Bean & Sausage Soup, Homemade […]
- 5 Time-saving Tips for Real Food Eaters » Real Food Eater - [...] few of my favorites to do this with are: Beef & Bean Casserole, Chicken Veggie Rice Soup or any…
- 30 days of dinners - my menu plan - Real Food Eater - [...] Beef & Bean Casserole, raw carrots – soak black [...]