Cheesy Vegetable Chowder (with Homemade Croutons on top!)
When the seasons change and the weather gets cold, one of my favorite things to eat is soup! I love trying new recipes, switching up ones I find in cookbooks or online (or Pinterest!), or creating new ones!
This Cheesy Vegetable Chowder is a favorite in our family. It was inspired by the Garden Chowder recipe over at Passionate Homemaking – go check out Lindsay’s site as it is very inspiring! I’ve changed up this recipe to meet our tastes and preferences. I also serve it with homemade croutons. See the recipe for that at the bottom!
*Note: if you are dairy intolerant but can do cheese okay, simply substitute coconut milk for the milk. You can also make the croutons from gluten-free bread if you desire! Using raw milk and cheese would be ideal, but any kind will work just fine.
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
1/2 a medium sized onion, diced small
3 garlic cloves (or garlic powder to taste)
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 medium-sized potatoes, diced into bite-sized cubes
3 large carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 cup green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 cups homemade chicken broth
1 tsp salt
pepper, to taste
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or if gluten intolerate you can substitute another flour)
2 cups of milk
2 Tbsp fresh or 1 Tbsp dry parsley, minced
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp paprika
2 or 3 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Heat coconut oil in soup pot over medium heat and saute onion and garlic until soft and translucent.
2. Add broth to pan and get to a gentle boil. Add all veggies and cook for 10 minutes until veggies are tender.
3. Mix milk and flour together in a glass measuring cup and whisk until relatively smooth. Then add the milk mixture to the broth/veggies and stir until thickened.
4. Add salt, pepper and dry mustard, stir until mixed well.
5. Lastly, add cheese a little at a time until fully melted.
6. Taste it! If it’s not quite right, add whatever you need to make it better – you can really add whatever you think would go well with these flavors to fit your tastes!
Serve hot with homemade croutons on top!
6 slices of bread (I used some from my loaf of soaked whole wheat bread that I make in my bread machine)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1. cut bread into cubes and place in medium bowl
2. pour butter over bread cubes, toss well to coat
3. Place bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet
4. Sprinkle with garlic/seasoning salt.
5. Bake for 10-15 minutes or so in a 375 degree oven (until crisp but not burned).
This was shared at: Monday Mania, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Fat Tuesday, Scratch Cookin’ Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Family Table Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, The Hearth & Soul Hop, Tasty Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Nap-time Creations, Tuesday Confessional, Real Food Wednesdays, Whole Foods Wednesday, Wednesday Fresh Foods, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Allergy Free Wednesday, Thank Your Body Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Creative Juice, Full Plate Thursday, Freaky Friday, Fight Back Friday, Friday Favorites, Fresh Bites Friday, Foodie Friday, Weekend Potluck, Weekend Wonders
- 20 Favorite Fall Soups & Stews » Real Food Eater - [...] Cheesy Vegetable Chowder (with Homemade Croutons) [...]
- 64 Nourishing Soups For Fall - [...] Cheesy Vegetable Chowder [...]
- Top 10 Christmas Gifts for Real Food Eaters - Real Food Eater - [...] and even a dough blade. We use ours for making pizza dough, shredding cheese for recipes like Cheesy Vegetable…
- 30 days of dinners - my menu plan - Real Food Eater - [...] Cheesy Vegetable Chowder w/ homemade croutons, fruit – take chicken out of [...]