Chicken, Veggie & Rice Soup
Soon it will be spring and “soup season” will be over. But, in honor of the -6 degree temperature outside in Michigan this morning, I’m posting my family’s ABSOLUTE favorite soup – Chicken, Veggie & Rice Soup!
It’s a basic chicken soup with rice and when you make this in your kitchen, you can be as flexible with the ingredients as you’d like! I often serve this along with Organic Homemade Breadsticks from my friend Kelly the Kitchen Kop. Yum!
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced or sliced thinly
8 cups chicken broth (homemade if possible)
1/2 to 3/4 cup rice (I use Traditional Basmati rice)
2 cups fresh or frozen assorted veggies – (I usually use carrots, parsnips, green peas, green beans, etc). Really, you can use whatever you have on hand. I used frozen beans from this past summer. Learn how to freeze fresh beans here.
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Thyme and parlsey, to taste
1. Heat oil in stock pot over med/high heat. Add onions until soft. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
2. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add rice. Cook for 10 minutes and then add FRESH veggies. Cook for 8-10 minutes and then add any frozen veggies for a couple minutes.
3. Once everything is heated through and rice/veggies are cooked, add salt, pepper, thyme and parsley to taste.
4. Stir in the lemon juice. *I cannot remember where I learned this, but it just really brings out the fresh flavor of the soup! An unusual addition but oh so good!
How about you? What do you like to put into your chicken soup? Anything out of the ordinary?
* See more of my Real Food Soup Recipes!
* Sign up for email updates each time a new blog post is up!
* “Like” my RealFoodEater page over on Facebook!
This was shared at: Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Mix it Up Monday, Menu Plan Monday, Manic Monday, Marvelous Monday, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Fat Tuesday, Hearth & Soul Blog Hop, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Totally Talented Tuesdays, Real Food Wednesday, Fresh Food Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Wonderfully Creative Wednesdays
- This Week's Meal Plan - Real Food Eater - […] – Leftover Chicken, Rice & Veggie Soup from […]
- 5 Time-saving Tips for Real Food Eaters » Real Food Eater - [...] few of my favorites to do this with are: Beef & Bean Casserole, Chicken Veggie Rice Soup or any…