Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my favorites. Technically, this soup is more stew-like which makes it nice and hearty. If you have kids, they’ll love it because toppings are half the fun!
We often top this shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocados, and tortilla chips (or even better, crunchy tortilla strips – cut corn tortillas into strips and then fry them in coconut oil, scrunching them while they cook. Drain on paper towels and let cool) YUM!!!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 (28oz) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth, homemade if possible
- 1 up whole corn kernels (I use frozen)
- 1 can (4oz) green chiles, optional
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, or equivalent amount of soaked, cooked, dry beans
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1. In medium stock pot heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, broth. Bring to a boil and simmer, 5-10 minutes.
- 2. Stir in corn, chiles, beans, cilantro and chicken. Simmer 10 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and top with desired toppings!