Egg, Sausage and Broccoli Casserole
Having breakfast for dinner is one of my kids’ favorite meals. And this Egg, Sausage and Broccoli Casserole is at the top of their most requested list.
Some time ago I shared a meatless version of this recipe. Tonight I made it with sausage and added in some broccoli. It was delicious and everyone had seconds. Here is a picture of it before popping it in the oven:
The broccoli could easily be substituted with a variety of other veggies – spinach, zucchini or asparagus would probably be at the top of my must-try list of alternatives.
- 6 slices of whole grain or sourdough bread, cubed.
- 1lb sausage (I used breakfast sausage), browned and drained
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded medium, sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch broccoli, cooked and cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brown sausage until well cooked, drain.
- Place cubed bread in bottom of greased or stoneware pan.
- Spoon cooked sausage over cubed bread.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over bread and sausage.
- Arrange cooked broccoli evenly over cheese.
- In bowl, whisk eggs until beaten; add milk, salt and italian seasoning and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over contents of baking dish.
- Bake for 45 min.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 min before serving.
- To make gluten free, substitute plain diced potatoes or all natural hashbrowns for cubed bread.
Don’t miss any of my posts (and get my handy Pantry List for free!):
This was shared at: Full Plate Thursday
- Convenient Real Food Breakfasts - Real Food Eater - […] Egg and Sausage Casserole (make the night before and bake in morning) […]