Hearty Tortellini Soup

Soups | December 12, 2012 | By

Not everything we eat around our house is completely, 100% Real Food. I’ll admit it. That’s why a while back I wrote the post to further explain how and why we follow the 80/20 Rule when it comes to healthy eating. We try to eat real, whole, nourishing foods 80% of the time and then try not to worry about the other 20%.

This Tortellini Soup probably falls (at least partly) into the 20% camp. Honestly, the only “bad” thing in here is store-bought tortellini. And, you could probably find some that is minimally processed and maybe even organic. The rest of the ingredients are pretty real, especially if you make your own Homemade Chicken Broth!

This soup has been quite friendly around our home. My kids will even eat the spinach/kale because with all of the flavors mixed together they really can’t taste the green stuff! I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to mix it up a little and add whatever you have on hand or prefer. I’ve left out the tomato sauce and used diced tomatoes before – it’s up to you!

Hearty Tortellini Soup

1/4 cup diced onion

3 large garlic cloves, sliced

3 Tbsp. coconut oil (where to purchase)

8 cups chicken broth (homemade if possible, otherwise Buy Broth Here)

20 oz cheese tortellini

3 large carrots, sliced into 1/4-inch chunks

1 bunch of spinach (can also use kale)

4 to 8 oz of mushrooms, sliced (if desired)

1 cup spaghetti sauce or homemade tomato sauce (if you use tomato sauce, sprinkle in a little oregano and basil to round out the flavor a bit)

salt and pepper to taste


1. Melt coconut oil in large pot over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until soft.

2. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.

3. Add carrots and tortellini and cook according to tortellin package directions, adding mushrooms for last 2 minutes of cooking time.

4. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted.

5. Stir in spaghetti or tomato sauce and season to taste.



  1. 20 Favorite Fall Soups & Stews » Real Food Eater - [...] Hearty Tortellini Soup [...]

Leave a Comment

You can use these HTML tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

CommentLuv badge