Tomato Soup: A Great Homemade Recipe (using fresh tomatoes)
Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes! Tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomato salsa. And my favorite – TOMATO SOUP! This is a great recipe for this time of year when tomatoes are going crazy. It’s easy, not too time-consuming, and is perfect for freezing in containers to use throughout the winter. There is not much that is better than a fresh-tasting bowl of tomato soup to go with that grilled cheese while the snow is flying outside.
The recipe for this tomato soup recipe is originally from Lindsay at Passionate Homemaking. I’ve made a few minor adjustments.
- 1-2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 4 cups of tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 medium/large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, more or less depending on how thick you prefer your soup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp dried italian seasoning
- 2-3 Tbs sucanat or other natural sweetener
- Melt coconut oil and saute onions and garlic until translucent and soft.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree in a food processor, blender or keep in pot and use immersion blender to blend.
- Add salt, Italian season (or fresh basil!) and sweetener.
- Taste. Add more of anything in step #4 to make it taste awesome.
- Put in bowl and top with cream/sour cream and fresh basil if desired.
I’ve put together my list and description of what I believe are the Top 5 Must-Haves for Tomato Season <—–Click there to get my list!
Please share your favorite tomato recipes below!
This post was shared at:
- What's So Special About Heirloom Tomatoes? - Real Food Eater - […] are a few of my favorite recipes using Tomatoes: Tomato Soup: A Great Homemade Recipe (using fresh tomatoes) ♦…
- 20 Favorite Fall Soups & Stews » Real Food Eater - [...] Tomato Soup [...]
- 64 Nourishing Soups For Fall - [...] Tomato Soup #3 (with fresh tomatoes) [...]
- Top 10 Christmas Gifts for Real Food Eaters - Real Food Eater - [...] tool to help blend things up right in the pan or pot! I use it all the time when…
- Stuffed Jalapenos - Real Food Eater - [...] Tomatoes are great for making Canned Salsa (with the garlic and jalapenos) or Homemade Tomato Soup. [...]
- Canned Salsa Recipe (with simple canning instructions) - Real Food Eater - [...] Tomato Soup: A Great Homemade Recipe (using fresh tomatoes) [...]
- Health & Wellness Friday ~ September 7th 2012 | The Coconut Mama - [...] (A chickpea dish to die for) @ The Polivka Family Yogurt Popsicle/Smoothie @ Dimes 2 Vines Tomato Soup (Using Fresh Tomatoes) @ Real Food Eater SCD…