Sausage and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
I remember DREADING dinner on the nights my mom would make stuffed peppers. Somehow, the green pepper flavor seaped into the whole mixture and made it a gag-inducing dinner for me. Now that I’ve grown up (as have my tastebuds), I thought I’d give my own twist to stuffed peppers.
I started with purple bell peppers (which I found out actually turn green when they are cooked, who knew?) and a mixture of ingredients I thought would taste good together. I was right.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this yummy dinner. Change them up based on what you have. I literally opened my fridge, took a look around and came up with this recipe based on what I had. You can do the same!
1 cup quinoa (soaked overnight or rinsed well prior to cooking)
2 cups chicken broth (I used my Homemade Chicken Broth – so tasty!)
6-8 bell peppers, any color
1 lb ground sausage
1/4 onion, minced small
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
4-5 mushrooms, diced into small cubes
1 medium tomatoes, diced
salt and pepper, to taste
shaved parmesan cheese, for topping
1. Place soaked/drained/rinsed quinoa in a saucepan along with broth. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until all liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook sausage, onion and garlic in skillet until meat is browned and cooked through. Add mushrooms for last minute or two. Turn off heat. Add cooked quinoa, tomato and salt & pepper to taste. Stir gently to combine.
3. Wash peppers and cut off tops, discarding seeds and membrane from inside. Place peppers in a baking dish which has a bit of water added to cover bottom of dish (so the peppers won’t stick). Fill each pepper to top with quinoa and sausage mixture. Top with shaved parmesan cheese.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
*Note: this version leaves the peppers more firm, almost a bit crunchy. If you prefer a softer pepper, simply cut off the tops of the peppers, remove seeds and boil for 2-3 minutes prior to stuffing.
Do YOU have any great recipes for stuff peppers? If so, please share below!
This is shared at: Weekend Gourmet, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Fat Tuesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Wednesday Fresh Foods, Simple Lives Thursday, Eat, Make, Grow Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Full Plate Thursdays, Frugal Food Thursday, Foodie Friday, Freaky Friday, Fill Those Jars Friday, Friday Favorites, Fresh Bites Friday, Sugar Free Sunday, Simply Natural Saturdays, Make Your Own Monday, Tempt My Tummy, Show Me What You Got, Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Tuesday Talent Show, Hearth & Soul Hop, Tasty Tuesday, Naptime Creations, Tuesday Confessional
- Stuffed Jalapenos - Real Food Eater - [...] With the peppers, I often dice them and then freeze them in small bags. OR, I use them to…