Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes! Tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomato salsa. And my favorite – TOMATO SOUP! This is a great recipe for this time of year when tomatoes are going crazy. It’s easy, not too time-consuming, and is perfect for freezing in containers to use throughout the winter. There is not much that is better than a fresh-tasting bowl of tomato soup to go with that grilled cheese while the snow is flying outside.
The recipe for this tomato soup recipe is originally from Lindsay at Passionate Homemaking. I’ve made a few minor adjustments.
HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP
4 cups tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth (more or less, depending on how thick you like your soup)
1 tsp sea salt
1 Tbs dried basil or Italian seasoning
2-3 Tbs rapadura or other natural sweetener
1. Saute onions and garlic until translucent and soft.
2. Add tomatoes and chicken broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Puree in a food processor, blender or keep in the pot and use my favorite tool, an immersion blender like this one to blend.
4. Add salt, basil/italian seasoning and sweetener.
5. Taste. Add more of anything in step #4 to make it taste awesome. Add in some cream or a little sour cream on top if desired.
Please share your favorite tomato recipes below!
This post was shared at: